
So here we are in a temple in Bali, Indonesia. We were here on a week vacation this past summer, many people from Australia come here to surf and enjoy all the beaches. I know a few people who have lived here all summer or for a whole year. Although it is a third world country, there is so much beauty to see. The people are beautiful and the culture is still very grounded in their spiritual practices and beliefs. You can see this in their temples, festivals and dances. When you go into the temple, your knees must be covered, so there is always a temple worker on hand to tie your sarong on.

There is a temple nearly everywhere you look. Some are beautifully kept and new and some are hundreds of years old and falling apart. No matter, they are just so intricately made and very ornate. I had a lot of fun fighting my way through the cobwebs and dust to play the temple instruments in one of the old temples. There were larger than life xylophones, gondolas, and a whole mini orchestra of percussion instruments. All the temples are open air of course, but no one ever messes with the temple dance head dresses, costumes and instruments that are left out in the open.

In addition to temples being everywhere, you can also see a lot of rice fields in Ubud esp. They are built into flat land and also in the side of mountains and ravines. This field is already harvest, but the grid pattern is so artistic. It’s like living art. We did walk through a flat rice field. I had no idea though, so you should have seen me walk through a rice field in my flimsy little sandals. I was a good trooper about it, but I’m the sophisticated traveler. I cut my foot on a piece of sharp dried grass.



this is the beach that was in the film, eat pray love! I love that movie and who wouldn’t want to travel for a year. It’s def a go to movie of mine. There are two ways to get down to this beach, a steep tunnel carved out of the side of the rock on one side and then this stair case on the other side. This picture only shows half of the staircase. This beach became very popular after the movie, the dock the producers built and used in the moved is sitting piled up by the side of the mountain. I don’t think anyone wants to have to go through the pain to remove the stack of lumber.
No comments:
Post a Comment